Does anybody actually need 5 cameras on their smartphone? That’s a query that LG needs us to determine with their new V40 ThinQ. However past the cameras, the V40 ThinQ has a 6.four″ OLED show but it’s nonetheless pocketable and simply managed with one hand. Ought to it’s your subsequent telephone? Let’s speak about it.
The blurbs throughout LG’s V40 ThinQ microsite are primarily concerning the digital camera. To be truthful, nowadays it may possibly really feel just like the digital camera high quality on one smartphone versus one other is the primary differentiator when making an attempt to determine which flagship smartphone to purchase. However there are nonetheless different issues that ought to be made. However first, let’s take a look at the telephone …
Included within the field are the LG V40 ThinQ, a wall charger, a USB Sort-A to USB Sort-C charging cable, an LG branded microfiber material, a fast begin information, a reminder to join the (wonderful) AT&T Safety Name Shield app, a SIM tray software, and a product security and guarantee info booklet. That’s about normal; for a flagship telephone, it might have been good to see a number of the little lagniappes different manufacturers embrace like a pair of Sort-C headphones or a Sort-C to three.5mm adapter.
The V40 measures roughly 6.three″ lengthy by three″ large by zero.three″ thick, and it weighs 5.9 ounces. The back and front are composed of Gorilla Glass 5 with aluminum aspect rails. As good because the telephone appears nekkid, you’re going to need to purchase it a case as a result of whereas all that tumbler might survive minor scratches, it gained’t survive a drop on something arduous. The LG V40 ThinQ is obtainable in Aurora Black or Moroccan Blue; I used to be despatched the black for evaluation. On the prime of the telephone, constructed into the now ubiquitous dip, there are two digital camera lenses (an Eight-megapixel normal lens and a 5-megapixel wide-angle lens), and a slim ear speaker.
On the left aspect of the telephone, you’ll discover the quantity up and quantity down buttons adopted by a devoted Google Assistant button.
On the prime, there’s a microphone.
On the proper aspect are the SIM and MicroSD reminiscence card tray, and the facility button.
On the underside, there’s a three.5mm headphone jack, a microphone, the Sort-C charging port, and a speaker.
On the again, there’s a fingerprint reader, an LED flash, and from left to proper: the 12-megapixel 2X zoom telephoto lens, the 16-megapixel super-wide lens, and the 12-megapixel normal lens.
In hand, the V40 is a bit slick as all-glass telephones are typically. The edges are curved, and there are not any sharp angles. I just like the width and the peak of the V40; the telephone is well-balanced, and it feels good to carry.
Full Listing of LG V40 ThinQ Specs
I do know there’s lots to wade by means of right here, however stick with me. I’ve added feedback after every set of specs until I’m overlaying the options extra absolutely in a later part of this assessment.
Show: 6.four″* QHD+ OLED Show (3120 x 1440, together with notch); 538 ppi with the next options:
- 6.four″ QHD+ OLED Show (3120 x 1440, together with notch); 538 ppi
- FullVision Show – 19.5:9 Facet Ratio; 84.three% screen-to-body ratio
- New Second Display – select so as to add a shade fill to the standing bar
- Floating Bar – entry app shortcuts and name notifications on a movable/collapsible toolbar
- All the time-On Show – time, date, and notifications seem on a sleeping display
- Palm Rejection – prevents unintentional interactions on the touchscreen
The OLED show is gorgeous, and you’ve got the choice of customizing the display colours from the Settings>Show>Display Shade menu. You can even modify the display decision from low (1560×720) to Medium (2340×1080) to Excessive (3120×1440) in Settings>Show>Display Decision.
Second Display is the selection of choosing a strong black bar throughout the highest (Customized) or seeing the notch (Commonplace). Should you mess up and choose the improper factor when establishing, you’ll be able to all the time change it forwards and backwards later by going to Settings>Show>New Second Display after which selecting between Customized and Commonplace. Selecting Customized lets you choose how the brand new “app corners” will seem; you possibly can select black, or you’ll be able to decide a customized shade.
The Floating Bar is good if you would like app shortcuts on a floating/collapsible bar; I don’t use this as a result of I discover the floating bar annoying, however I can see how others would discover it useful. You possibly can management it by going to Settings>Extensions>Floating Bar. As soon as there, you’ll be able to customise the bar with as much as 5 apps or frequent contacts.
Rear: 12MP Telephoto Zoom, 16MP Tremendous Broad-Angle, and 12MP Normal with the next options:
- 16x Steady Zoom – 2x optical zoom-in, 5x digital zoom-in, and 1.6x optical zoom-out, complete 16x zoom from super-wide-angle to telephoto zoom
- OIS+ and EIS – seize sharp pictures shortly with much less blur
- Twin PDAF – autofocus utilizing twin PD pixel sensor (normal angle digital camera)
- Triple Shot – seize three photographs (commonplace, vast, and telephoto) and create a brief video with one contact
- Triple Preview – press and maintain a digital camera icon to see a stay preview of the three rear lenses
- Tremendous Vibrant Digital camera – routinely activated in extraordinarily low mild to seize vibrant pictures and video
- Guide Mode – regulate shutter velocity, ISO, publicity, white stability, and extra; save picture as uncooked (DNG) and JPEG
- Graphy 2.03 – choose reference photographs that routinely regulate Guide Mode settings
- Meals – adjusts white stability to enhance the looks
- AI Composition – acknowledges as much as three individuals and adjusts the image composition based mostly on images’s rule of thirds
- AI Cam – intelligently suggests the optimum impact and angle by mechanically figuring out what’s within the shot
Entrance: 5MP Large and 8MP Normal with the next options:
- My Avatar – take an image of your self to create a personalizable animated emoji
- AR Emoji – 3D graphic animals mimic your facial expressions
- Make-up Professional – manually change the looks of selfies by adjusting complexion, lip colour, or enhancing eyes and eyelashes
- Auto Shot – take a selfie with automated face detection
- Gesture Shot – take a selfie with a easy hand gesture
- Gesture Interval Shot – make a fist twice to take 4 selfies in a row
- Gesture View – mechanically preview the picture when bringing the telephone shut
- Selfie Mild – display illuminates for well-lit selfies
- Magnificence Shot – softens facial options
- Fast Sharing – entry sharing apps immediately after taking footage and movies
Each cameras share these options:
- Cine Shot – create partially animated GIFs by choosing particular areas to animate
- Google® Lens – searches what you see and supplies related on-line info; options QR code and real-time translator
- Backdrop – change the background to a selected colour or a picture from the gallery
- Portrait – bokeh impact blurs the background whereas preserving the topic in focus
- 3D Mild Impact – apply lighting results on the background of selfies; choices embrace Pure, Studio, Contour, Stage, Stage Mono
- Flash Bounce-Reduce – pictures are taken each three seconds and saved as a GIF
- Stay Photograph – report the motion proper earlier than and after you’re taking a photograph
- AR Sticker – personalize photographs with quite a lot of pre-loaded stickers
- Movie Impact – select from 17 preset filters
- HDR – corrects backlighting with a number of publicity methods
- 4K VIDEO RECORDING AT 60 FPS
- Decision: as much as 3840 x 2160 pixels (1920 x 1080 default)
- Regular Report – document smoother, clearer movies on the transfer with OIS+ and EIS (Digital Picture Stabilization)
- HDR10 Video Recording – life-like footage with a large spectrum of shade that’s wealthy, correct, and excessive distinction
- Level Zoom – zoom in on any chosen space inside the body for extra stability and management
- Video Guide Mode* – modify audio focus, guide focus, white stability, body charges, and extra
- Cine Impact – select from 16 totally different colour grading presets for a cinematic look
- Slo-mo – HD 240 FPS Sluggish Movement Video Recording
- Time-Lapse Video – video the place time seems to be shifting quicker
- Video Studio* – merge as much as 50 photographs or movies; trim and add title/textual content, background music, and theme impact overlays
Battery: three,300 mAh Non-Detachable
- Charging: USB Sort-C port; wi-fi charging; Qualcomm Fast Cost three.zero
The LG V40 ThinQ has wi-fi charging and Qualcomm Fast Cost, each of which I feel must be minimal requirements for any flagship gadget.
Reminiscence: 64GB inner reminiscence; microSD helps a card up to 2 TB; 6GB RAM
I suppose my largest grievance right here is that the telephone solely has 64GB of inner storage reminiscence, and 17 GB of it’s utilized by the system. The excellent news is that you would be able to add a microSD card, the dangerous information is that you’ll doubtless should.
rant/ After utilizing the Google Pixel three XL as my main telephone for a few month and earlier than that the Huawei Mate 20, I’m beginning to have an actual appreciation for smartphones that take a microSD reminiscence card. I want area on my telephone to retailer a ridiculous variety of pictures (you possibly can name me a photograph hoarder, I don’t care), and never having sufficient reminiscence to take action makes me really feel annoyed. You possibly can justify altering your reminiscence card format to at least one that isn’t widespread or but obtainable but (Huawei), or you’ll be able to say it isn’t wanted since you give free cloud storage (Google), however typically you simply need to maintain issues in your telephone. I don’t recognize having the selection to simply achieve this (and have a pleasant comfortable reminiscence buffer) eliminated by my telephone’s producer, so on this sense, I respect that LG continues to be providing a simple to fill reminiscence card slot. /rant
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 as much as 2.Eight GHz x four + 1.7 GHz x four Octa-Core
- Platform: Android Eight.1 (Oreo)
- Consumer Interface: LG UX 7.1
I’m unsure why LG’s flagship is providing a earlier model of Android (Eight.1 Oreo) relatively than the Android 9 (Pie) being provided on different flagship telephones (Huawei, Google, Sony, Honor, and so forth.). The phrase is that an replace is coming, however I want it will have merely shipped with it. I understand that not each Android consumer cares whether or not they have the newest model or provides a lot thought to what model of the OS they’re utilizing; they only need their telephones to work correctly and be secure. However Android 9 has been out there since August, and it brings some vital Android enhancements; the V40 ought to have come out of the field operating the newest Android OS with out subjecting customers to questions of when (or if) they’d ever get it.
- Audio Tuned with Meridian
- Boombox Speaker – internal resonance chamber alongside with prime and backside audio system present higher sound ranges for boosted bass
- DTS:X Digital Encompass – deep 3D stereo audio expertise
- 32-Bit Hello-Fi Quad Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) – produces crisp, full sound via wired headphones
- Sound Preset – customized choices to realize totally different sound experiences
- Digital Filter – Brief, Sharp, or Sluggish choices of Sound Filter traits in DAC
- Tremendous Far-Area Voice Recognition (FFVR) – improved voice recognition picks up instructions higher in noisy environments from as much as 16′ away
- Wind Noise Filter – reduce wind noise throughout video recording
- RAM (Receiver as Mic) – 2 analog mics and the telephone’s receiver enhance sound readability whereas recording in loud environments
- HD Audio Recorder – select between Regular, Live performance, and Customized modes; report over a separate monitor
- Hello-Fi Video Recorder – 2 excessive AOP mics report higher-quality sound
- Hello-Fi Streaming – MQA decoder allows high-resolution audio to be packaged in a small measurement
The V40 has wonderful sound, particularly if you end up listening by means of headphones. A built-in DAC and DTS:X Digital Encompass make the whole lot sound unbelievable if you find yourself utilizing wired headphones … which you are able to do as a result of the V40 is among the few flagship telephones that’s nonetheless providing a three.5mm jack. Whereas it’s true that many people have moved on to Bluetooth headsets, the three.5mm jack is useful when you have got it, and it nonetheless presents perks when it’s used.
- Display Lock – Swipe, Knock Code, Sample, PIN, Password
- Fingerprint ID – entry telephone, make cellular funds, safe content material
- Face Recognition – unlock display with a facial scan
- Google Sensible Lock – maintain the telephone unlocked when related to trusted units or in trusted locations
LG has taken a web page from different flagships, and they’re providing Face Recognition. I like with the ability to take a look at my telephone to unlock it, although (presently) it will not be as safe a approach to take action than an precise fingerprint or PIN.
- Google Assistant with LG Integration – clever private assistant additionally performs LG-exclusive device-specific duties
- Drag and Drop Image Gallery – choose a number of footage and simply drag and drop into sub-folders
- QTag – gallery searches with automated tagging and album creation
- QuickMemo+ – write or draw with the paper type, pen measurement/shade of your selection, schedule memos to seem at sure occasions or places
- Seize+ – write or draw on almost any display
The devoted Google Assistant on the left aspect of the V40 is a pleasant contact; it’s not fairly as wowing as squeezing the edges of the Pixel three to name up the digital assistant, however it’s nonetheless useful. To make use of it, you press and maintain the button whereas speaking to the assistant and also you launch it when accomplished. If nothing else, doing issues this manner appears to enhance accuracy because the telephone has particular verification of when your questions begin and finish. Urgent the button twice shortly calls up Google Lens, which you should use to learn QR codes and barcodes, acquire contact info, and gather details about what you’re pointing the digital camera at (which incorporates books, films, places, and so on.)
- Emotional Haptic Perform – vibrates when AI performance has detected one thing
- Barge-in – acknowledges “Hey Google” instructions whereas audio is enjoying
- App Scaling – set the view to None (Unique), Compatibility (16:9), Commonplace (16.7:9), Fullscreen
- Shortcut Keys – fast entry to Seize+, Digital camera or Google Assistant
- Consolation view – decreases the quantity of blue mild on the display to assist alleviate eyestrain
- Display Colour – modify settings for Auto, Cinema, Sports activities, Recreation, Pictures, Net, Skilled, Colour temperature or RGB ranges
- Mini View – shrink the display for one-handed use
- Knock On – double faucet the display to place your telephone to sleep/wake it
- Sensible Cleansing – optimize telephone storage and check hardware for improved efficiency
- Battery Saver – preserve battery by altering settings and proscribing apps within the background
- LG Well being – health app tracks every day exercise
- IP68 Mud and Water Resistant
- Shock Resistant – MIL-STD-810G Examined
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 – safety on the entrance, again, and digital camera
- Warmth Pipe – absorbs and strikes warmth away from the processor to assist reduce the danger of overheating
- 4G LTE Community
- Cellular Hotspot – share a 4G LTE knowledge connection with as much as Eight wi-fi units
- Bluetooth Wi-fi Know-how Model 5.zero
- Supported Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, DI, GAVDP, GOEP, HDP, HFP, HID, HSP, MAP, OPP, PAN, PBAP, SPP, HOGP, ScPP
- Wi-Fi Requirements: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Wi-Fi Direct – join on to units
- USB and Bluetooth Tethering – share your Web connection
- Android Beam (NFC) – share contacts, net pages, and extra
- Media Server – permit close by units to entry content material
- Display Sharing – wirelessly mirror system display
- MIDI System – hook up with musical devices by way of USB
- HD Voice Succesful
- MirrorLink – hook up with a MirrorLink succesful automotive to share your display and apps
- S-GPS, A-GPS, and Qualcomm® Service for Enhanced Location Accuracy
Okay then! One of many belongings you’ll first discover if you begin establishing and utilizing the V40 is that it comes loaded with personalization prospects. You’ll be able to determine if you wish to see the notch or a strong bar on the prime; I favor the notch.
You possibly can change the font, obtain LG wallpapers, change your theme, and set it up in order that it usually seems like it’s yours. In case you are utilizing your personal photograph as a wallpaper, you’ll be able to nonetheless change the seems of all of the icons and the all the time on show. I point out this primarily as a result of regardless that there are different manufacturers that provide these choices, not all of them do; if they’re essential to you, the LG V40 ThinQ has them.
The telephone comes loaded with some AT&T particular apps and others that they assume you may wish to attempt; I deleted Cookie Jam, TikTok, CNN, and Bleacher Report. The AT&T apps included are Cellular Safety, System Assist, Setup & Switch, myAT&T, AT&T Name Shield (wonderful service properly well worth the subscription), DirecTV (deleted it), AT&T ProTech (deleted it), AT&T Sensible WiFi, and DriveMode. The Different Apps folder consists of LG Well being, HD Audio Recorder, Downloads, LG SmartWorld, Fb, and Amazon Purchasing. All the additional software program is one thing you’ll be able to often anticipate when a telephone is service branded; it’s not sudden.
The LG V40 ThinQ has the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor, and as one would anticipate, its efficiency has been snappy and clean with no lags. Perceived velocity and precise velocity are, in fact, two various things. I ran the V40 by means of the benchmark packages AntTuTu and GeekBench; listed here are the outcomes:
Battery life has been respectable however not superb; I can get by way of an Eight-hour day without having to recharge (it finally ends up at round 25%), however I don’t play any video games or watch many movies. My use has primarily been confined to checking e mail, texting, utilizing Viber, updating social accounts, checking the occasional YouTube video, browsing the online, modifying WordPress posts, and studying. For those who watch a number of movies or play loads of video games, your battery life will endure. I ran the Geekbench four battery benchmark on the V40, and that is what it discovered:
Talking of the battery, there’s this warning when you’re establishing the V40 … I’m unsure who would attempt to take away the glass again to get to the battery for any purpose, however I assume somebody should have tried it for there to be a warning.
The Digital camera(s)
As I’ve stated, the V40 ThinQ’s cameras are the function being so closely marketed, so let’s see how they do. The very first thing value noting is that you could shortly pull up the digital camera by swiping on the lockscreen till the digital camera icon exhibits. You’re supposed to have the ability to name the digital camera up by double-clicking the facility button, however for some cause, I couldn’t get that to work on my evaluate pattern.
There are three rear digital camera lenses, and as you possibly can see within the prime center of the display, there are three shot decisions out there: normal, wide-angle, or super-wide-angle.
The cameras supply fairly a number of tips, as nicely. There are three modes: Auto, Flash Leap-Minimize (takes a photograph each three seconds and saves the outcome as a .GIF file), and Cine shot which creates a photograph with solely part of the scene in movement whereas the remainder of the photograph is static. To make use of it, you document a video whereas preserving the digital camera nonetheless; you rub the world within the video that you simply need to spotlight and hold in movement. You possibly can select a playback impact like repeat or bounce to make the video really feel extra dynamic. The typical selfie cam gadgets like a “beauty” adjustment are current, however since there are two selfie cams, you possibly can take a regular selfie or make the display wider for a gaggle shot. The AI cam acknowledges as much as 19 topics and recommends 4 optimized filters in your shot. The AI cam may even apply “the rule of thirds to frame your picture and adjust your subject’s position for artistically balanced photos that draw the eye.” And naturally, Google Lens takes benefit of the AI cam capabilities. Swiping the display to the left switches from the again to front-facing cameras, and when in selfie-mode, there are a bunch of stickers and animojis to select from, if that’s your factor.
Whereas the cameras photographs are fairly good, particularly in vast and super-wide, I bumped into a problem when making an attempt to take macro photographs. I exploit my smartphone’s digital camera for each type of shot, so I used to be dissatisfied that I couldn’t get nearer to a topic than about 5″ (in wide-angle — additional away in normal and super-wide) earlier than issues started to blur; I suppose I used to be spoiled by the unbelievable macro photographs taken with the Huawei Mate 20’s super-wide digital camera lens. Whereas macro functionality isn’t current on the LG V40 ThinQ, cropping a bigger image is all the time an choice.
My fundamental complaints with the LG V40 ThinQ are that it ships with Android Oreo (Eight.1), and there’s no clear phrase on when (or if) will probably be up to date to Pie (9), it isn’t nice for macro photographs, and the battery life shouldn’t be wonderful. Contemplating its worth, and the truth that it’s poised as a flagship for an essential model, I assume I anticipated a bit extra. With that stated, V40 is a ridiculously feature-rich telephone that may possible fulfill all however probably the most demanding customers.
The LG V40 ThinQ retails for $949, and it’s obtainable from all main US carriers. Attempt to discover one for a lowered value; a variety of carriers and shops are providing reductions and offers.
Supply: Producer provided assessment pattern
What I Like: 6.four″ QHD+ OLED Show in a telephone that isn’t too massive; Headphone jack; IP68 water and mud resistant; Expandable reminiscence with microSD (it’s not a given); Headphone jack (they’re getting rarer and rarer); Wonderful audio, particularly by way of wired headphones
What Wants Enchancment: Ships with Android Eight.1, and it isn’t clear when it is going to be up to date to 9; Battery life isn’t spectacular; No digital camera macro perform; 64GB somewhat than 128GB; It’s costly
(perform(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.6”;
(doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));